texmf-beta/dialog and ncurses

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 12 06:18:00 GMT 2001

Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> Thanks you very much for your help:
>
> Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>>Jérôme-Georges-Michel BENOIT wrote:
>>

>>>Bonjour:
>>>
>>>I am rebuilding the tetex-beta (cygwin) package.
>>>I have a trouble with ncurces:
>>>when I build dialog,
>>>I get the error message:
>>>
>>>undefined reference to `acs_map'
>>>
>>>How can we fix it ?
>>>
>>Looks like you don't have the current ncurses.h file:  it should have a
>>line like:
>>

> I update my Cygnus every day (every two days if not):
> my `ncurses.h' are linked to `curses.h' which contains the line
>
> /* $Id: curses.h.in,v 1.96 2000/09/16 16:11:01 tom Exp $ */
>

>>#define acs_map  acs_mapf()
>>
>>and
>>
>>extern const chtype * acs_mapf(void);
>>

> true,
> but this lines are nested with
>
> #if BROKEN_LINKER
> #else
> #endif
>
> May I define BROKEN_LINKER somewhere ?

!DOH!

Sorry, I forgot about this (known) problem.  Yes, you (currently) have
to manually define BROKEN_LINKER when linking with ncurses.  It's a bug
in ncurses -- and not just the cygwin version.  Since BROKEN_LINKER
changes the external interface of the library, client programs should
KNOW about that -- ncurses' public headers OUGHT to declare
BROKEN_LINKER when necessary, but they do not.  It's only declared in
private, uninstalled headers.  It's something I have on my list to fix
b/f the next cygwin ncurses release, but haven't gotten round tuit yet.

For now, manually #define BROKEN_LINKER before #including ncurses.h

--Chuck