SYSVSHM / MMAP question (newbie )

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Mon Jul 3 16:21:00 GMT 2000

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 09:17:54AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>Chris, thanks for the answer & reference,
>To answer whether I am porting an application, yes I am continuing work
>on squid, (which is running happily under cygwin now), but the core
>developers are discussing using mmap or sysvshm for some upcoming
>development.  The application - squid - does use the cygwin.dll at the
>moment, and I do not plan to attempt making a -nocygwin port at this
>stage.  I am happy to be guided though - what list should I address
>further questions to?

This list is relatively general but I don't want it to become a place
where people think they have a captive audience of knowledgable people.

If you're porting an application to cygwin then it's an appropriate use
of the list.

I am, however, usually perplexed by questions of "is X implemented" when
it is relatively easy to look at the sources and decide.  Or, you can
even do an "objdump -p" on cygwin1.dll to see if the function is
exported.

Why, as a last resort, you can even look at the project web page, which,
in this case, actually mentions "System V shared memory calls".

cgf