Updated: moreutils v0.64-1
Fri Sep 4 10:42:24 GMT 2020
Version 2.64-1 of moreutils has been uploaded and should be coming
soon to a distribution server near you.
This is an update to the latest upstream release.
Moreutils is a "collection of the unix tools that nobody thought to
write long ago when unix was young."
>From the upstream website, https://joeyh.name/code/moreutils/:
Probably the most general purpose tool in moreutils so far is sponge(1), which
lets you do things like this:
% sed "s/root/toor/" /etc/passwd | grep -v joey | sponge /etc/passwd
There are lots more listed below, and I'm always interested to add more to the
collection, as long as they're suitably general-purpose, and don't duplicate
other well-known tools.
- chronic: runs a command quietly unless it fails
- combine: combine the lines in two files using boolean operations
- errno: look up errno names and descriptions
- ifdata: get network interface info without parsing ifconfig output
- ifne: run a program if the standard input is not empty
- isutf8: check if a file or standard input is utf-8
- lckdo: execute a program with a lock held
- mispipe: pipe two commands, returning the exit status of the first
- parallel: run multiple jobs at once
- pee: tee standard input to pipes
- sponge: soak up standard input and write to a file
- ts: timestamp standard input
- vidir: edit a directory in your text editor
- vipe: insert a text editor into a pipe
- zrun: automatically uncompress arguments to command
More information about the Cygwin-announce