[1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-51

Mon Jul 13 09:56:00 GMT 2009

Hi folks,

I just uploaded a new Cygwin 1.7 test release, 1.7.0-51.

The list with the changes related to the previous test release 1.7.0-50
is attached below.

                        IMPORTANT NOTE

-51 adds code which influences the way shell scripts are started.
I strongly advise that you update to the latest setup-1.7.exe, version
number is 2.637, from http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe before installing
this latest Cygwin test release.

Cygwin 1.7 is a major jump from Cygwin 1.5.x.  The list with the changes
related to Cygwin 1.5.25 is part of the User's Guide now:
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/ov-new1.7.html

We have a new User's Guide for 1.7, which is currently located at
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html

We now have new API documentation
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-api/cygwin-api.html

And we have a new FAQ, though very likely not quite complete since
we still don't know what exactly *is* a FAQ related to Cygwin 1.7.
http://cygwin.com/1.7/faq/faq.html

I'd like to encourage everyone to give 1.7 a shot.  Due to internal
changes it is possible to install a 1.7 release in parallel to a 1.5
release and even run 1.7 processes in parallel to 1.5 processes.

* The processes will not know about each other!  Any try to interact
* between 1.7-based and 1.5-based processes will lead to, at least, funny
* results.

To install a 1.7 release in parallel to a 1.5 release, all you have
to do is to choose another root directory (for instance: C:\cygwin-1.7)
in setup-1.7's "Choose Installation Directory" dialog.

* NOTE: Due to the way setup-1.7 works, you have to change the directory
* right the first time you visit this dialog!  If you pressed the "Next"
* button and then "Back" again, it's already too late and setup-1.7 will
* create a broken 1.7 install.  If you pressed "Next" by mistake, exit
* setup-1.7 and start it again.

What's new in contrast to 1.7.0-50
===================================

- Performance tweaks for pipes and sockets.

- Revamp select() implementation to simplify code and to reduce
  CPU and memory usage.

- New BSD compatible functions mkstemps, fpurge.

- Improve tty handling when a process is debugged.

- Workaround Windows 7 bug when trying to create invisible console.

Bugfixes:
=========

- Only execute shell scripts which have the execute bit set.

- Allow user context switch in domain environments even if domain
  controller is not available.

- Fix handle leak in user context switch on Windows Vista and later.

- Several reliability improvements to pipes.

- Fix a potential SEGV on NT4.

- Add code to deal correctly with C++ memory allocation starting with
  G++ 4.

- Fix longstanding bug in synchronization primitives.

- Fix bug in stat/fstat/lstat which results in partialy incorrect
  results for files with long pathnames.

- Fix bug in signal processing.

FAQ:
====

- Q: How do I know that I'm running Cygwin 1.7.0-51?

  A: The `uname -v' command prints "2009-07-13 10:28

Have fun,
Corinna

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

Red Hat, Inc.