Wed Mar 12 08:34:00 GMT 2008
Version 5.38-1 of smartmontools has been uploaded.
- Alternative IOCTL routes to access SMART data
- Allow to run smartctl without admin rights
- Improved device scanning and drive type recognition
- Added drive letters 'X:' as alternate device names
- Added '/dev/n?st<n>' as device names for SCSI tapes
- Many additions to drive database
- Some ATA-8 updates
- Improved SMART Attribute list and descriptions
- Fix to smartctl return codes
- New samsung firmware bug workaround option
- New options for ATA-8 SCT temperature monitoring and history
- Additional command line options for selective self-tests
For a full list of changes see NEWS and CHANGELOG in
Please read the Windows and Cygwin sections in the files
INSTALL and WARNINGS.
Smartmontools contains utility programs (smartctl, smartd) to
control/monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most modern ATA
and SCSI disks. In many cases, these utilities will provide advanced
warning of disk degradation and failure.
Smartctl is a command line utility designed to perform tasks such as
printing the SMART self-test and error logs, enabling and disabling
SMART automatic testing, and initiating device self-tests.
Smartd is a daemon that monitors the drives every 30 minutes
(configurable), logs SMART errors and changes of SMART Attributes via
the syslog interface.
Smartd can also be configured to schedule self-tests and send email
warnings or run other scripts if problems are detected.
On Cygwin, smartd can be run as a windows service via cygrunsrv.
To update your installation, click on the "Install or update now" link
on the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: cygwin <at> cygwin.com .
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=yourdomain.com <at> cygwin.com
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
More information about the Cygwin-announce