Mon Apr 14 18:57:00 GMT 2008
csih (cygwin-service-installation-helper) provides a library of shell
functions that can be used by other cygwin packages that provide servers
and daemons. It can assist in various service installation tasks, such as:
* identifying the underlying Windows OS
* detecting whether a "privileged user" exists and what its name is
(that is, a user account with enhanced privileges necessary for
some services. These may include, among others:
* creating a privileged user if one doesn't already exist (assuming the
caller has permissions to create new users, of course)
* creating "normal" users
* obtaining the (localized) name of well known accounts (Guest,
It is currently used by inetutils(iu-config, syslogd-config),
sspi(sspi-config), sysvinit(init-config). csih should not be used
directly; instead, config scripts like the ones mentioned above should
'source' the csih script, and then use the functions provided.
Changes (since 0.1.3-1)
* Add --help, --license, --version options to winProductName.
* Caller can now specify the password when calling
* csih_should_run_as now accepts optional [service_name] argument.
If specified, then checks to see if [service_name] is already
installed. If so, the user under which the service is installed
is returned (if that user has the necessary privileges).
Should call csih_select_privileged_username first, unless you are
SURE that [service_name] has already been installed.
* Add [-q] and [service_name] options to csih_select_privileged_username
See NEWS file
* Associated foo-config scripts that do not themselves install
a service (such as ssh-user-config) can now query the 'expected'
account that the associated service will run as (or is already
installed under). Recommended pattern:
if ! cygrunsrv -Q <service> >/dev/null 2>&1
csih_select_privileged_username -q <service>
... continue ...
* new functions for comparing x.y.z version numbers:
csih_version_ge A B --> A >= B
csih_version_le A B --> A <= B
csih_version_gt A B --> A > B
csih_version_lt A B --> A < B
csih_version_ne A B --> A == B
* Clarified licensing terms and attributions for csih.sh script
* Removed any direct heritage from cygport due to licensing concerns.
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
More information about the Cygwin-announce