Wed Sep 19 16:25:00 GMT 2007
I've just updated the version of OpenSSH to 4.7p1-2.
The -2 version only solves a packaging problem as reported in
This is a new major upstream release. The Cygwin release is created
from the vanilla sources.
The official release message of 4.7p1:
OpenSSH 4.7 has just been released. It will be available from the
mirrors listed at http://www.openssh.com/ shortly.
OpenSSH is a 100% complete SSH protocol version 1.3, 1.5 and 2.0
implementation and includes sftp client and server support.
Once again, we would like to thank the OpenSSH community for their
continued support of the project, especially those who contributed
code or patches, reported bugs, tested snapshots and purchased
T-shirts or posters.
T-shirt, poster and CD sales directly support the project. Pictures
and more information can be found at:
For international orders use http://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order
and for European orders, use http://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order.eu
Changes since OpenSSH 4.6:
Security bugs resolved in this release:
* Prevent ssh(1) from using a trusted X11 cookie if creation of an
untrusted cookie fails; found and fixed by Jan Pechanec.
Other changes, new functionality and fixes in this release:
* sshd(8) in new installations defaults to SSH Protocol 2 only.
Existing installations are unchanged.
* The SSH channel window size has been increased, and both ssh(1)
sshd(8) now send window updates more aggressively. These improves
performance on high-BDP (Bandwidth Delay Product) networks.
* ssh(1) and sshd(8) now preserve MAC contexts between packets, which
saves 2 hash calls per packet and results in 12-16% speedup for
* A new MAC algorithm has been added, UMAC-64 (RFC4418) as
"firstname.lastname@example.org". UMAC-64 has been measured to be
approximately 20% faster than HMAC-MD5.
* A -K flag was added to ssh(1) to set GSSAPIAuthentication=Yes
* Failure to establish a ssh(1) TunnelForward is now treated as a
fatal error when the ExitOnForwardFailure option is set.
* ssh(1) returns a sensible exit status if the control master goes
away without passing the full exit status. (bz #1261)
* The following bugs have been fixed in this release:
- When using a ProxyCommand in ssh(1), set the outgoing hostname with
gethostname(2), allowing hostbased authentication to work (bz #616)
- Make scp(1) skip FIFOs rather than hanging (bz #856)
- Encode non-printing characters in scp(1) filenames.
these could cause copies to be aborted with a "protocol error"
- Handle SIGINT in sshd(8) privilege separation child process to
ensure that wtmp and lastlog records are correctly updated
- Report GSSAPI mechanism in errors, for libraries that support
multiple mechanisms (bz #1220)
- Improve documentation for ssh-add(1)'s -d option (bz #1224)
- Rearrange and tidy GSSAPI code, removing server-only code being
linked into the client. (bz #1225)
- Delay execution of ssh(1)'s LocalCommand until after all forwadings
have been established. (bz #1232)
- In scp(1), do not truncate non-regular files (bz #1236)
- Improve exit message from ControlMaster clients. (bz #1262)
- Prevent sftp-server(8) from reading until it runs out of buffer
space, whereupon it would exit with a fatal error. (bz #1286)
* Portable OpenSSH bugs fixed:
- Fix multiple inclusion of paths.h on AIX 5.1 systems. (bz #1243)
- Implement getpeereid for Solaris using getpeerucred. Solaris
systems will now refuse ssh-agent(1) and ssh(1) ControlMaster
clients from different, non-root users (bz #1287)
- Fix compilation warnings by including string.h if found. (bz #1294)
- Remove redefinition of _res in getrrsetbyname.c for platforms that
already define it. (bz #1299)
- Fix spurious "chan_read_failed for istate 3" errors from sshd(8),
a side-effect of the "hang on exit" fix introduced in 4.6p1.
- pam_end() was not being called if authentication failed (bz #1322)
- Fix SELinux support when SELinux is in permissive mode. Previously
sshd(8) was treating SELinux errors as always fatal. (bz #1325)
- Ensure that pam_setcred(..., PAM_ESTABLISH_CRED) is called before
pam_setcred(..., PAM_REINITIALIZE_CRED), fixing pam_dhkeys.
- Fix privilege separation on QNX - pre-auth only, this platform does
not support file descriptior passing needed for post-auth privilege
separation. (bz #1343)
Thanks to everyone who has contributed patches, reported bugs and
- SHA1 (openssh-4.7.tar.gz) = 9ebaab9b31e01bd0d04425dc23536bcc78f8d990
- SHA1 (openssh-4.7p1.tar.gz) = 58357db9e64ba6382bef3d73d1d386fcdc0508f4
- please read http://www.openssh.com/report.html
OpenSSH is brought to you by Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt,
Kevin Steves, Damien Miller, Darren Tucker, Jason McIntyre, Tim Rice and
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
More information about the Cygwin-announce