Fri Aug 25 15:11:00 GMT 2006
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
A new release of m4, 1.4.6-1, is available, replacing 1.4.5-1 as current.
This is a new upstream release. From the NEWS file, the changes since
1.4.5 are listed below. See also /usr/share/doc/m4-1.4.6/.
You must rebuild from source if you want the experimental changeword
feature enabled, as using it can slow down normal operation, and since it
will disappear from the eventual m4 2.0.
m4 is an implementation of the traditional Unix macro processor. It is
mostly SVR4 compatible although it has some extensions (for example,
handling more than 9 positional parameters to macros). GNU m4 also has
built-in functions for including files, running shell commands, doing
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on the
http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your system.
Save it and run setup, answer the questions and pick up 'm4' from the
Note that downloads from sources.redhat.com (aka cygwin.com) aren't
allowed due to bandwidth limitations. This means that you will need to
find a mirror which has this update, please choose the one nearest to you:
If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing list is
the appropriate place.
volunteer cygwin m4 maintainer
CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO:
To unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at the
"List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message. Send email
to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
NEWS file extract:
Version 1.4.6 - 25 August 2006, by Eric Blake (CVS version 1.4.5a)
* Fix buffer overruns in regexp and patsubst macros when handed a trailing
backslash in the replacement text, or when handling \n substitutions
beyond the number of \(\) groups.
* Fix memory leak in regexp, patsubst, and changeword macros.
* The format macro now understands %F, %g, and %G.
* When loading frozen files, m4 now exits with status 63 if version
mismatch is detected.
* Fix bugs that occurred when invoked with stdout or stderr closed,
and detect write failures to stdout or to the target of the
debugfile macro. In particular, the syscmd and esyscmd macros can
no longer interfere with the debug stream or diversions.
* The m4exit macro now converts values outside the range 0-255 to 1.
* It is now an error if a command-line input file ends in the middle of a
comment, matching the behavior of mid-string and mid-argument
* The dnl macro now warns if end of file is encountered instead of a
* The error message when end of file is encountered now uses the file and
line where the dangling construct started, rather than `NONE:0:'.
* The debugmode and __file__ macros, and the -s/--synclines option, now
show what directory a file was found in when the -I/--include option or
M4PATH variable had an effect.
* The changequote and changecom macros now work with 8-bit characters, and
quotes and comments that begin with `(' are properly recognized
following a word.
* The new macro __program__ is added, which allows the input file to issue
an error message that resembles messages from m4. Warning and error
messages have been reformatted to comply with GNU Coding Standards.
* The errprint, m4wrap, and shift macros are now recognized only with
* The index, substr, translit, regexp, and patsubst macros now produce
output when given only one argument, but still warn about a missing
* The patsubst macro now reliably finds zero-length matches at the end
of a string.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v126.96.36.199 (Cygwin)
Comment: Public key at home.comcast.net/~ericblake/eblake.gpg
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the Cygwin-announce