Tue May 25 15:40:00 GMT 2004
I've made a new version of the Cygwin DLL and associated utilities
available for download. As usual, a list of what has changed is below.
One special note is called for in this release -- Corinna Vinschen and
Pierre Humblet have spent a lot of time on performance in this release
and it shows. In running the test suites prior to releasing this, I was
really struck by how much snappier cygwin 1.5.10 felt when compared to
1.5.9. So, hats off to Corinna and Pierre.
Oh, and as long as I'm talking about special notes, it is obvious that
sound handling is *much* improved in this release thanks to Gerd
Spalink. At the very least, the sound parts of the test suite twice
caused me to jump out of my chair when running them. That's got to be
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Changes since 1.5.9-1:
- Improve cygheap debugging, Fix heap size problems in child processes.
- Add sound recording capabilities and most Open Sound System (OSS)
compliant ioctls. Perform general improvements to audio code. (Gerd Spalink)
- Simplify and speed up path handling. (Pierre Humblet)
- Fix SIGCHLD handling. (Christopher Faylor)
- Fix shmat to succeed also for valid shmids not get by calling shmget.
- Improve thread safety of newlib's file I/O functions. (Thomas Pfaff)
- Rewrite tape code to operate like Linux SCSI tape driver. Documentation
in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/mt.README from the latest mt package.
- Add SIGPIPE handling to sendmsg. (Corinna Vinschen)
- Change socket send/recv to asynchronouos socket I/O to solve signal handling
problems in blocking socket calls. (Corinna Vinschen)
- Add libtextreadmode.a to allow setting only file input to O_TEXT by default.
- Speed up stat-like file operations. Minimize file open/close calls.
in NT. (Corinna Vinschen)
- Fix lseek return code in case of error. (Corinna Vinschen)
- 16 byte align stacks to allow SSE operations. (DJ Delorie)
- Ensure that newly created threads are always ready to receive a signal.
- Fix two races with multithreaded programs which use sockets.
- Ensure that correct errno is set for failing opens. (Christopher Faylor)
- Fix so that cygwin works correctly on Windows 95. (Pierre Humblet)
- Make lstat return the correct size for symbolic links. (Pierre Humblet)
- Make /dev/mem access work again. (Corinna Vinschen)
- Fix problems with "find /". (Pierre Humblet)
- Fix problem where simultaneous attempts to open new ptys could lead to the
same pty being opened multiple times. (Christopher Faylor)
- Implement flockfile, ftrylockfile, funlockfile, getgrgid_r, getgrnam_r and
getlogin_r. (Corinna Vinschen)
- Export atoll. (Christopher Faylor)
More information about the Cygwin-announce