New packages: ucl & upx
Mon Apr 29 16:41:00 GMT 2002
UCL-1.01-1 and UPX-1.20-1 are now installable from setup.exe
UCL by Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer:
- UCL is a portable lossless data compression library written in ANSI C.
- UCL implements a number of compression algorithms that achieve an
excellent compression ratio while allowing *very* fast decompression.
Decompression requires no additional memory.
- UCL is my OpenSource re-implementation of some NRV compression algorithms.
- As compared to LZO, the UCL algorithms achieve a better compression
ratio but decompression is a little bit slower. See below for some rough
UPX by Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer and LÃ¡szlÃ³ MolnÃ¡r:
- UPX is a free, portable, extendable, high-performance executable
packer for several different executable formats. It achieves an
excellent compression ratio and offers very fast decompression. Your
executables suffer no memory overhead or other drawbacks.
- UPX is copyrighted software distributed under the terms of the GNU
General Public License, with special exceptions granting the free usage
for commercial programs as stated in the UPX License Agreement.
- UPX uses the NRV compression library for compression services. A
compatible but somewhat less efficient OpenSource implementation is
available through the UCL compression library.
- UPX aims to be Commercial Quality Freeware.
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: email@example.com . I would appreciate if you would
use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly. This includes
ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin in general.
If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing list is
the appropriate place.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look at
the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
firstname.lastname@example.org (PGP & X.509 keys available)
http://www.lapo.it (ICQ UIN: 529796)
More information about the Cygwin-announce