Updated: Cygwin DLL 1.1.3
Fri Jul 28 12:11:00 GMT 2000
I've updated the version of the cygwin DLL in cygwin/latest to 1.1.3.
A partial, unordered list of what's changed is below. If anyone who has
submitted changes that are not mentioned below wants to chime in, please
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin web page. This downloads setup.exe
to your system.
Run setup and answer all of the questions. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
choose a mirror site for your download. The 'sources.redhat.com' site
is badly overloaded. The mirrors below have the latest version of
Note that if this is the first time that you've run the new GUI version
of setup, it will currently download the whole cygwin net release again.
After this point it will only download what is needed.
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
mailing list at: email@example.com . I would appreciate
if you would use this mailing list rather than emailing me directly.
This includes ideas and comments about the setup utility or Cygwin
If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin mailing list is
the appropriate place.
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe to the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the format:
GDB/Cygwin Engineering Manager
Red Hat, Inc.
- The find command should no longer report 'File not found' for valid
- Command slowdown should be eliminated.
- Memory page checking should prevent cygwin from core dumping when it
should be returning an EFAULT due to invalid addresses passed to cygwin
- binmode.o and textmode.o files are now available for linking with an
application to force an application to open files in binmode or
textmode by default.
- The first steps towards internationalization have been taken. Some
functions are slightly more friendly toward non-US characters.
- Stack dumps should now more accurately report return addresses.
- New API function: poll() -- emulates standard UNIX function of the
same name. New header files poll.h and sys/poll.h.
- New API function: chroot() -- note that this is a cygwin-only version
of this function which means that it is easily bypassed by running a
windows native program.
- Rectify problem where Explorer quoted argv causing cygwin to become
confused as to the name of the file.
- Rectify problem caused by execing a process after all handles have
- Support for tapes with variable blocksize has been implemented.
- Correct exit status is now reported when a process exits due to a
- The "disappearing cursor" problem has been solved.
- getpwnam/getpwuid functions report NULL instead of a fallback entry if
/etc/passwd exist and the user name or uid is not found in the file.
- /dev/urandom uses a pseudo random entropy source if it can't connect
to the system entropy source. So /dev/urandom works now for a plain
W95 system as well. /dev/random fails in that case.
Entropy in both devices can be initialized by writing to the device.
- New header files netinet/in_systm.h and cygwin/in_systm.h.
- ntsec: Command startup is noticable accelerated since ntsec tries to
get all user related information through inheritance or from the
environment and the local system first.
- ntsec: Rectify problem when access is called for files with `.exe'
- ntsec: Two new functions (prototypes in sys/cygwin.h)
which are used to allow further calls to setuid/seteuid to change the
user context on NT/W2K. Further calls to `execXX' don't have to be
substituted by `sexecXX' anymore.
- ntsec: Concept of real vs. effective uid/gid is supported (slightly
restricted by NT/W2K security). Together with the aforementioned two
new functions, the porting of setuid applications is simplified.
- ntsec: When changing the user context on creating a new process,
Cygwin tries to load the local copy of the users registry hive.
It neither tries to load server based hives nor does it save hives
More information about the Cygwin-announce