Unsubscribe problems apparently solved

Chris Packham judge.packham@gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:20:45 GMT 2020

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 8:38 AM Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> (Sorry if I got CC emails wrong... it's been a while...)

>> Hi all,
>> The two people for whom the unsubscribe instructions "did not work"
>> apparently managed to follow the instructions and unsubscribe.
>>
>> Sorry for the noise.  You'd think that a technical mailing list wouldn't
>> have these types of problems.
>>
>> Btw, the name of this mailing list is "crossgcc".  I don't know why
>> something is adding "crosstool-ng" to the subject but it's not being
>> done by sourceware.org.
>>
>> cgf
>> (20 year sourceware.org volunteer admin)
>>
>> --
>

> Personally, I do understand and appreciate your feedback.
>
> From my understanding this mailing list started as a place to chat about cross-compling GCC, and I do not know how or when crosstool-ng started using this mailing list as a way to use patchwork (http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/) to commit changes to crosstool-ng (on an OSUOSL server using mercurial).
>
> At a certain point (2011? 2012?), Yann E. Morin and I decided to move contributing to crosstool-ng to github (from a mercurial repo). I'm sure there is a way to somehow add `[crosstool-ng]` as a prefix to the subject of Pull Requests and Merge notifications, I just don't know how. Maybe it is time for us to stop notifying this mailing list of changes, and inform developers to subscribe/like/follow the github repository. That way this mailing list can continue to be a mailing list about talking about cross-compling GCC.
>
> As an admin, and co-contributor (well, not so much lately; as my work, my daughter, and some things in my personal life have taken over), I would like to know what we can do to make this mailing list what it should be. I don't know who owns this mailing list, maybe we also need their help in updating the (un)subscribe page so that it is clear on how to (un)subscribe to this mailing list.
>
> I want to help aid in what is best, but I don't want to dictate what "should happen". Maybe others can provide some feedback?

For now I've removed the crosstool-ng notifications to
crossgcc@sourceware.org since that seems to have been the cause of
some frustration.

If anyone wants notifications they'll need to subscribe to the project
in github. I know that causes some issues for those who don't want to
accept github's ToS but at the moment there seem to be more people
frustrated by the notifications than those that actually want them and
don't have github accounts.