addToolVersion.sh

Alexey Neyman stilor@att.net
Thu Jan 3 17:44:00 GMT 2019

On 1/3/19 1:04 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
> On 03-01-19 04:11, Alexey Neyman wrote:
>> That section in the docs (which mentions addToolVersion.sh) is
>> outdated and needs to be updated. Please file an issue; my laptop
>> broke so I am without a machine where I can do ct-ng development at
>> this time.
>>
>> I am not sure where you found a reference to gen-version.sh; I
>> couldn't find any in current crosstool-NG, nor in its docs.
>>
>> The current procedure to add a new version of a component is to:
>> 1. Copy/create a directory for a new version under
>> packages/PACKAGE-NAME/
>> 2. Verify the package signature, update the checksums for all
>> downloads, check if the patches apply (and if necessary, update the
>> patches). All that is done by running maintainer/manage-packages.sh
>> script; run it without arguments to get some help.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alexey.
>>
>> On 1/2/19 4:00 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
>>> Dear Reader,
>>>
>>> I am using the git version of crosstool-NG and want to add a new
>>> kernel. However, the above mentioned tool as well as the potential
>>> replacement gen-versions.sh are nowhere to be found.
>>>
>>> I can add things manually in linux.in and in the new chksum file,
>>> but that seems a bit awkward knowing that there have been (a)
>>> tool(s) for this purpose.
>>>
>>> Suggestion?
>>>
>>> Regards, Frans.
>>>

> Hi Alexey,
>
> The gen-versions.sh was introduced by yourself. I saw a posting of
> 2017-7-13 from your hand ;)
Yes, this was temporarily a separate script that was later merged into
`bootstrap`. My point is, no documentation should be referring to that
script.

> As for the outdated version of the documentation, it is the version
> published on the web site and addresses 1.23 also.
I know, which is why I asked you to log this as an issue :P

> And the procedure for updating/adding new versions is clear. Did
> figure out step 1 already, but did not realize that manage-packages.sh
> was the tool to use to update the xxxx.in file. I only browse through
> it, probably because I had the former tool on my mind.
>
> Anyhow, I will verify your pointer later on.
>
> Question: it seems that crosstool-NG has evolved well beyond the early
> 2017 release. Don't you think it is time to release an updated version?
Yes, I planned to do that by the end of the year but my laptop broke. I
marked the remaining issues that I want to get resolved before the
release - once they're done, I'll tag an RC, run a full build-all on
supported Linux distributions and - assuming no regressions - tag a release.
> Also, it seems that you prefer git pull requests for updated/new
> pieces, this applies to the documentation too?

Yes, please, using the crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng.github.io repository.

Regards,
Alexey.