crosstool-NG Debian packaging

Chris Packham Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz
Sun Feb 14 19:42:00 GMT 2016

On 02/13/2016 08:49 AM, Bryan Hundven wrote:
> Chris,
>
>> On Feb 11, 2016, at 8:20 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/11/2016 09:32 AM, Chris Packham wrote:
>>> Hi Bryan, Andrew,
>>>
>>> I see that there is some movement on packaging crosstool-NG for Debian.
>>> This is relevant to my interests and I have subscribed to your mailing
>>> list :).
>>>
>>> Is there an open Debian bug for this? I've found a few older ones but
>>> they all seem to have timed out due to lack of interest.
>>>
>>> I'm also interested in the possibility of generating debian packages for
>>> the toolchains themselves.
>>>
>>> We're in the process of updating our cross toolchain(s) and being able
>>> to distribute .deb files to our developers is quite attractive. Is
>>> anyone looking at such a capability? If not any pointers?
>>>

>> For those that are interested. I've put something together that kind of
>> works for me
>>
>>    https://github.com/cpackham/cross-toolchain
>>
>> I'll need to do some more testing and add the additional configs I need
>> but it looks promising.
>
> Just curious, but are you installing the prefix dir to the root of the build machine?
> Just fyi, the cool thing about the toolchain that crosstool-ng produces is relocatable. ;)
> (i.e. you can build it in $HOME/x-tools/$CT_TARGET and move it to /opt/$CT_TARGET or where ever you want)

In our case yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Our builds are done
inside a chroot so it's just easier if everything is in /bin & /usr/bin
(our build system hard-codes a few assumptions that it probably shouldn't).

One problem I have noted with the resultant .debs is that some of the
extra files (e.g in /usr/share) will clash. I don't think we need most
of them so I probably will just end up moving or removing them.