[RFC] Refactor autoconf options and build scripts

Jasmin J. jasmin@anw.at
Wed Sep 16 14:50:00 GMT 2015

Jean-Marie,

> This way we can quickly identify regression on standard samples with
> travis, and run full regression test when developing / reworking some
> major features.
I see the problem, that the samples doesn't define a gcc/binutils/... version.
So the tests are done with the default (newest) versions of the tools.
If we go the direction samples, then we should define the most important
configurations for older GCC versions, too. I don't know which combination(s)
would be representative. This is something Bryan can do best, I think.

Maybe we don't need to define this combinations within the samples. We can
define this in the travis-ci configuration, I guess.
If you look here:
  http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/customizing-the-build/#Build-Matrix
  -> Explicity Including Builds
Can be used to define an additional env: for the GCC/binutils/... version.

> This way we can quickly identify regression on standard samples with
> travis, and run full regression test when developing / reworking some
> major features.
I agree!

> If, it is OK for you, I can finish the travis part. I just need to
> identify the "standard" samples.
>From my point you have the "OK". It is better to start with a few tests, than
nothing (like now).
When someone of us has time, we can add more (GCC/binutils/... version).

BR
   Jasmin