GCC Version support in Crosstool-NG

Bryan Hundven bryanhundven@gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:19:00 GMT 2015

List,

As mentioned in a tracking issue I have just posted:
https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/issues/222

Starting with crosstool-NG-1.23.0, we will only support the latest
supported releases of gcc.
For example:

4.8.5
4.9.3
5.2.0

Just as you would find by going to https://gcc.gnu.org

If you really need an older version of gcc, I have nothing against
supporting older releases of crosstool-ng that have your compiler
version in it. When you open a pull request, just make sure you change
the target branch to the correct version of crosstool-ng, and not use
master. When that branch functions the way you expect, I will push a
branch release (say: 1.20.1).

In the mean time, in 1.22.0 milestone timeline, I will be removing
older releases of gcc (I.E. 4.9.0, 4.8.1) and only support the latest
of each minor version (I.E. 4.6.4, 4.7.4, 4.8.5, etc..).

The reason behind this change (as Thomas Petazzoni mentioned), there
are too many versions to test and support, and some version will
always be broken. It is too difficult to test every single revision of
gcc, and older versions aren't even supported by the upstream gcc
developers if there is an issue.

Cheers,

-Bryan