[crosstool-ng] Pre-built toolchains for testing in Buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com
Fri May 15 18:40:00 GMT 2015

Hello,

Buildroot is an embedded Linux build system, which is capable of using
external pre-built cross-compilation toolchains. Crosstool-NG
toolchains are supported through this mechanism.

I while back, Yann E. Morin, the former maintainer of Crosstool-NG,
created some pre-built toolchains that the Buildroot project uses to
run some test builds against Crosstool-NG toolchains. This ensures that
people building toolchains with Crosstool-NG will be able to use them
with Buildroot.

Those toolchains are available here:

  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv5-ctng-linux-gnueabi.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv6-ctng-linux-uclibcgnueabi.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv7-ctng-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i486-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i686-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n32-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n64-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mipsel-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng_e500v2-linux-gnuspe.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc64-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/x86_64-ctng_locales-linux-gnu.tar.xz

However, those toolchains are now one year old, and some of them have
some issues:

 - The uClibc toolchains were built without IPv6 support, and Buildroot
   now requires IPv6 support to be present. Due to this, we had to
   disable the use of all uClibc toolchains from the above list.

   See
   http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot-test/commit/?id=e11a3af5aa56ba7f44aca8e615e5b2222d860dd6

 - The ARM toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR58854, causing
   lttng-tools to fail building.

 - The PowerPC toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR60155, causing a
   build problem with SDL and mpeg2.

 - The MIPS64 toolchain uses a too old glibc version, which lacks
   SYS_getdents64, causing a build failure of Python 3.

 - The MIPS uClibc toolchain fails to build gdb, weston and civetweb (I
   believe due to uClibc issues)

Is there someone in the Crosstool-NG community interested in working
with the Buildroot community to provide more up-to-date pre-built
Crosstool-NG toolchains, and fixing the above issues?

Also, I would strongly advise Crosstool-NG to move away from uClibc,
and use uClibc-ng instead. This project is much more lively, and has
tons of fixes that have never been in a uClibc stable release.

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons