library not found for -lcrt0.o when building on mac

Caleb Whiting yskywalker@icloud.com
Fri Aug 21 17:59:00 GMT 2015

Hi all,

I’m trying to use crosstool-ng to build a toolchain for my mac to
cross-compile ffmpeg for my Raspberry Pi.  I’m new here, but my
understanding is that this is the place to come to ask for help.

Being new here, I run the risk of coming across like a help vampire who
expects everyone else to do the work for me.  I really don’t want to
be that type of person, but my ignorance puts me at risk for doing it in
spite of myself.

So far my experience with ct-ng has been very good.  I’ve ran into
many, many errors through this whole process but I’ve always been able
to fix them by googling and then patching some source file or installing
a missing tool.  So far I’ve been able to compile ct-ng, configure it,
but things are failing at the `ct-ng build` step and I just can’t seem
to figure out what the problem is.  So I’m resorting to ask for
help/suggestions.  Here is the tail end of my build.log:

> [DEBUG]  Checking that gcc can compile a trivial program
> [DEBUG]    ==> Executing: 'x86_64-build_apple-darwin14.3.0-gcc' '-O2'
> '-g' '-pipe'
> '/Volumes/crosstool-ng/ctng/.build/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/build/test.c'
> '-o'
> '/Volumes/crosstool-ng/ctng/.build/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/build/.gccout'
> [DEBUG]  Checking that gcc can compile a trivial program: done in
> 1.00s (at 00:08)
> [DEBUG]
> [DEBUG]  Checking that gcc can compile a trivial statically linked
> program (CT_WANTS_STATIC_LINK)
> [DEBUG]    You may need to ensure that static libraries such as libc.a
> are installed on your system
> [DEBUG]    ==> Executing: 'x86_64-build_apple-darwin14.3.0-gcc' '-O2'
> '-g' '-pipe'
> '/Volumes/crosstool-ng/ctng/.build/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/build/test.c'
> '-static' '-o'
> '/Volumes/crosstool-ng/ctng/.build/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/build/.gccout'
> [DEBUG]    ld: library not found for -lcrt0.o
> [ERROR]    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use
> -v to see invocation)

I’m running Mac OS 10.10.3 with command line dev tools installed.
(But not Xcode itself.)

Thanks,
Caleb Whiting