Announcing `autocrossgen'

Bryan Hundven bryanhundven@gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 07:58:00 GMT 2014

Per, List,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:41 AM, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:
> Per, List,
>
> To get context correct "more friendly to developers". So say you are
> working on binutils, gcc, glibc, musl-libc, etc...
>
> If you are using crosstool-ng, you have to save steps if you want to
> not build the prereqs for building gcc (say you are working on gcc
> specifically) over and over again. autocrossgen's build system uses
> GNU/Make rather then Bash. So you can just delete the build/gcc*, type
> make and the build will leave off at configuring and building gcc
> instead of starting the whole build process over from scratch.
>
> -Bryan

Whoops, I totally top-posted there. Sorry about that!

I might also mention that the project is in an early stage. I just got
the first toolchain to build from it tonight
(arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi) and built kernel 3.18-rc1 with it.

>From a normal user's perspective, it is much more of an advanced tool.
I find that if you are looking for a simple tool to build
cross-compilers that supports a lot of different features, stick with
crosstool-ng.

It may be a while until autocrossgen gets features that ct-ng has.
ACG will not have support for kconfig, instead it will just use
autoconf's 'configure' script to provide an interface for setting
options (most of which still needs to be implemented).

Plenty of work to be done, and definitely not a drop-in replacement
for crosstool-ng.

So, simpler for developers, nightmare for normal users ;)

-Bryan