building a cross-native for arm

Mauro Condarelli mauro@mailgate.soft-in.com
Sun Oct 12 11:10:00 GMT 2014

Hi,
first of all many thanks for the effort and time spent on crossgcc-NG.
This is my first attempt at using it, so I might be very mistaken
everywhere.

I need a native compiler (and related stuff, including make and other
installation tools) running on a small ARM board (I wouldn't want to
cross-compile for it).

I built the cross compiler (arm-mconc-linux-gnueabi) with almost no
problem, in spite of the very terse documentation I found.
Only stumbling was because I didn't have libncurses-dev installed on my
build system.
Now I have a nice $HOME/x-tools/arm-mconc-linux-gnueabi subdir.

If I understand it correctly I now need to use this cross-gcc to build
the native.
I changed Tuple's vendor string to "mconn".
I activated the "canadian" type and selected "arm-conc-linux-gnueabi" as
Host system Tuple.

First problem was ct-ng wouldn't find the cross-toolchain, so I resorted to:
   $ PATH=$HOME/x-tools/arm-mconc-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH ct-ng build

This seems to work, but, building gdb, I get again the error about
"missing termcap library".
I presently disabled GDB to finish the build and test results, but
that's not a real solution, obviously.

Is there some "tutorial" documentation available somewhere? I didn't
find any and, as said docs coming with crossgcc-NG seem a bit too terse.

Other question: it seems the option about "Companion tools" seems to
apply to upgrade old tools running on build machine; is there a way to
build the same tools for the host (==target, in my case)? That would be
very useful.

Last, but not least, I am a bit confused about what, exactly, I should
copy on the target machine and where, to use the generated native toolchain.
Now cross-compilation of native has finished without errors and I have a
confusing PATH=$HOME/x-tools/arm-mconn-linux-gnueabi directory ("..."
stand for this directory):
1) executable are in .../bin
2) but .../include is empty and .../lib          contains only the
gcc-specific stuff
3) .../arm-mconn-linux-gnueabi/bin           contains only binutils
(without prefix)
4) .../arm-mconn-linux-gnueabi/include    contains only "c++" subdir
5) .../arm-mconn-linux-gnueabi/sysroot    seems to have correct libs and
include, but has neither           compiler nor binutils
What is the "approved" way to deploy all this stuff to target?
Sorry if these are very naive questions, I searched, but I couldn't find
an answer to them (shame on me).

Thanks again and Regards
Mauro Condarelli