multilib-list

Trevor Woerner trevor.woerner@linaro.org
Thu Feb 27 08:16:00 GMT 2014

On 02/26/14 19:37, Ray Donnelly wrote:
>> In my case I'd like to use it to build multilib toolchains using the
>> "custom" version. Could that scenario be added too? It looks like that
>> won't be easy. I think it would be safe to assume if a user is
>> performing a build using custom versions that they're knowledgeable
>> enough to know if they want multilib. It reminds me of the patches you
>> have to add snapshots and additional versions.
> I'm not sure what you mean about "custom" version.

Under "Paths and misc options" a user can specify a "Directory
containing custom source components" (CT_CUSTOM_LOCATION_ROOT_DIR). Then
under "Binary utilities" (for example) when choosing the "binutils
version" the user can select "Custom". If no "Full path to custom
binutils source" (CT_BINUTILS_CUSTOM_LOCATION) is provided, crosstool-NG
will look in:

    ${CT_CUSTOM_LOCATION_ROOT_DIR}/binutils

for the binutils source. The same is true for the C compiler version, C
library version, gdb version, and probably others.

This is (IMHO) a very nice feature! In my case I'm investigating using
crosstool-NG to build a toolchain based on the gcc-arm-embedded
sources[1]. Unfortunately the sources for this toolchain are provided as
one tarball which contains the tarballs of all the sub-components (i.e.
gcc, newlib, binutils, etc). Having this feature in crosstool-NG makes
working with these sources much easier and I'm very glad such a thing is
available.

In this case, the gcc-arm-embedded source, although indicated as 4.8.3,
does include multilib capabilities. If the multilib support in
crosstool-NG requires gcc-4.9 or better for ARM toolchains I won't be
able to provide the list of multilib targets for this build.

I think if a crosstool-NG user is making use of the "custom" feature,
there's a chance they're working with pre-release software. In which
case making the multilib facility available would be a good idea. Either
that or abandon trying to determine a priori (based on version number +
architecture alone) which combinations should allow a user to specify
the multilib list :-)

[1] https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded