32-bit host vs 64-bit host

roman@kolesnikov.mobi roman@kolesnikov.mobi
Tue Feb 25 19:59:00 GMT 2014

Hi Grant,

I found the difference in building the libraries and file systems.
Making 32 bit chroot on 64 bit system was an extra nuisance.

Roman

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 32-bit host vs 64-bit host
From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, February 24, 2014 2:26 pm
To: crossgcc@sourceware.org

Let's say I build two copies of the "same" toolchain: one on a 32-bit
(i686) host and the other on a 64-bit (amd64) host: both are using the
same configuration, same sources files, for the same target (e.g. ARM).

Would you expect the two toolchains to produce identical code when
given identical sources?

Or are there certain optimizations or transformations that differ
depend on the _host_ machine word-size or architecture?

For example: for the past few years you've been building an embedded
linux linux system for an ARM9 target using a 32-bit hosted toolchain.
How much of a risk is there if you move development to a 64-bit host
and rebuild your toolchains as 64-bit apps?

[Yes, I know that if you have 32-bit compatibility libraries you can
continue to use the existing 32-bit toolchain binaries.]

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Make me look like
 at LINDA RONSTADT again!!