Announce: new maintainer

Bryan Hundven bryanhundven@gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 00:31:00 GMT 2014

Yann, List,

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> TL;DR:
> Starting now, Bryan Hundven is the new maintainer for crosstool-NG.
>

> In the past 9 years I've been developping and maintaining crosstool-NG,
> I have had the opportunity to share a lot of ideas and code with a lot
> of you; I even had the opportunity to meet some of you in person.
>
> That has been a wonderful adventure for me, and the first Free Software
> project I was really involved with. It was something very much different
> from my previous scarce contributions to a few other Free Software
> projects, and I learned a lot.
>
> But for quite some time now, I've been less and less active, to the
> point of not even looking at contributions. That is bad, very bad from
> me. If nothing else, that is at least the sign that something has broken
> on my side. To say it bluntly, I'm no longer as much interested in
> crosstool-NG as I used to be at the start. The Holy Fire is no longer
> but mere sparks in a stash of cold ash.
>
> This is the time I pass the torch on to someone else.
>
> Letting go of something is not easy, even more so when a lot of time was
> invested, like I did in crosstool-NG. I needed to find someone I would
> trust with crosstool-NG like I would trust him with my house.
>
> Bryan has been pretty active in crosstool-NG over the past years, and he
> has contributed a lot of usefull patches, answered questions on the list
> and overall has demonstrated a real interest about crosstool-NG and
> keeping it alive and well.
>
> I am thus very happy to accept his offer of helping with the maintenance
> of the project. I am confident he will continue to make crosstool-NG a
> relevant and user-friendly solution to build reliable cross toolchains.
>
> I won't completely retire for now, if at least to assist Bryan in taking
> over the server, and maybe I'll be better at being a simple contributor.
>
> I wish Bryan all the best for his new responsibilities as maintainer,
> and I want to thank him for all his contributions to the project and his
> patience in the past months. Thank you, Bryan! :-)
>
> I would also like to thank Dan Kegel for his astonishing work on the
> original crosstool, on which crosstool-NG was initially based.
>
> Last but not least, I would also like to thank all of you, contributing
> code, helping on the mailing list and IRC, suggesting enhancements and
> reporting bugs and providing feedback. I liked every part of it. :-)
>
> Bryan, you're in command now. Take us to warp! :-)

I'm excited to be at the helm, but I don't have any interest in making
any big changes at first besides revisiting what is in patchworks
(https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/crosstool-ng/list/). I will be
sending out replies to these emails/patches as I go through them to
apply them to the main repository. Stay tuned...

There are a few updates to the wiki to be made, among other administrivia.

If you have changes to crosstool-ng to submit or any issues, the
process is the same, except please send emails:
TO: crossgcc at sourceware dot org
CC: bryanhundven at gmail dot com

and I will respond as soon as possible. Documentation will reflect
this process update soon.

It might take me a little bit to ramp up to actually committing
changes to the repository as I get my environment setup properly. But
it shouldn't take too long.

Many thanks go to Yann E. MORIN, and past and future contributors.

Cheers,

-Bryan