Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn@sfconservancy.org
Thu Apr 24 15:45:00 GMT 2014

TL;DR: Crosstool-ng applied (long ago) to the Conservancy and has
       (finally) been offered membership.  The FSA template should be
       reviewed by all interested parties, and we need your help to
       draft three specific sections, which are discussed in detail at
       the bottom of this email.

Full Details:

I am excited to inform you that Conservancy's Project Evaluation
Committee has approved Crosstool-ng for membership in the Software
Freedom Conservancy.  I apologize greatly for the long delay between
your application date and the date on which we offered you membership.
As I have previously explained, Conservancy does not offer membership
until we're sure we can offer services to the project.

The next step is to negotiate a formal agreement between the project and
the Conservancy, which is called a fiscal sponsorship agreement (FSA).
You can find a template of the agreement available on Conservancy's
website at: https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
            https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.tex
            https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.odt

Generally, Conservancy leaves it for the Crosstool-ng community to
decide how you'd like to discuss the document internally.  Note that
signing such an agreement is a big step for the project and you should
consider the agreement carefully, in whatever forum is most appropriate
for your community.  Conservancy strongly suggests that a public
discussion of the FSA occur on the general discussion list for
developers of your project, which is why I've posted this information
here on your public list.

Also cc'ed is Conservancy's "Project Intake group", which can be reached
by the alias <project-intake@sfconservancy.org> and is comprised of the
following people:
   Bradley M. Kuhn, Karen Sandler, Tony Sebro, Jeremy Allison,
   Tom Callaway, Martin Michlmayr

All of us are members of Conservancy's Project Evaluation Committee and
will be happy to answer questions and you should also feel free to cc that
address, too, if you'd like, when asking questions.

Meanwhile, Conservancy's detailed discussion will be with the
application lead, Yann E. MORIN.  Ultimately, Conservancy will rely on
the application leads to coordinate the final details of the FSA with
Conservancy.

Specifically, note that the FSA template is in fact, just that, a
template.  Most notably, we'll need to figure out together two key terms
of the agreement:

  (a) who the initial signatories should be (ideally it should include
      anyone who has ever made substantial contributions to the project),

  (b) who the Project Leadership Committee (PLC) should be, how it should
      govern itself, and what it should be called.  Note there are a few
      examples in the FSA template of how other projects have done this, but
      they are just guidelines, not choices.  The most important thing is to
      write something that describes the natural and existing leadership
      structure of your project.  Conservancy also is reluctant to accept
      PLC's that have fewer than three members.

There are a few other minor issues that we've raised in a private thread
with the application leads.

Please note that this offer will expire six months after it is made.  We
would be happy to extend that time constraint if we're in active
discussions with you about joining.

We look forward to Crosstool-ng joining the Conservancy!
--
Bradley M. Kuhn, President, Software Freedom Conservancy