Cross compilation for an old box...

Mariano Boragno marianoboragno@gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 20:48:00 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile some small applications for a satellite modem
(iDirect X3) which is built on a pretty old Linux kernel (2.4.24) from
uCLinux distribution. More info on the system below.

I guess I can get the headers for that kernel, but how would I build
crosstool to successfully compile for that platform? Is that possible
at all or is it way too deprecated?

The purpose is to add some small features to the modem not provided by
the manufacturer.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance, regards...

***************************************
***************************************
***************************************
# uname -a
Linux iDirect 2.4.24-uc0-iDirect0 #1 Wed Jun 15 12:44:25 EDT 2011 armv5b unknown

# /usr/bin/ldd --version
ldd (GNU libc) 2.3.2

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : XScale-IXP4xx/IXC11xx rev 2 (v5b)
BogoMIPS        : 266.24
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp

Hardware        : iDirect Phoenix Platform
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

Also, the GCC used to compile the binaries in the system, extracted
from a binary retrieved from the box:
$ strings -a ptylogin | grep "GCC: ("
GCC: (GNU) 3.3.2