CT: arm-none-linux-gnueabi: how to configure with different arm family SOC's

Zhenqiang Chen zhenqiang.chen@linaro.org
Mon Feb 4 02:28:00 GMT 2013

On 1 February 2013 23:32, Jagan Teki <jagannadh.teki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Zhenqiang,
>
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM, Zhenqiang Chen
> <zhenqiang.chen@linaro.org> wrote:
>> On 1 February 2013 00:34, Jagan Teki <jagannadh.teki@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Alexander,
>>>
>>> I have a very basic question for building arm-none-linux-gnueabi sample.
>>>
>>> Could you please tell me...
>>>
>>> Support I have a 4 different target boards comes with individual ARM
>>> family soc's like armv5te, arm920t, armv7, cortex-a11.
>>> When I building arm-none-linux-gnueabi..
>>> 1) If I don't touch any target configuration options, the final
>>> tool-chain will support all the above boards.
>>
>> It should work for all your boards, since the default is armv4t.
>
> How can we know the default is armv4t, any config item that shows this
> arm family.

The default is defined as SUBTARGET_CPU_DEFAULT
gcc/config/arm/linux-elf.h
#define SUBTARGET_CPU_DEFAULT TARGET_CPU_arm6

gcc/config/arm/unknown-elf.h
#define SUBTARGET_CPU_DEFAULT           TARGET_CPU_arm7tdmi

For your case, your default one maybe arm6.

>>> 2) or we need to configure the crosstool-ng with all 4 different
>>> boards by specifying each family, will intern comes with 4 different
>>> set of toolchains.
>>> 3) or we may give all 4 different families in a single configuration.
>>
>> This is multilib support. Need change gcc to support your boards.
>
> I have encounter an error:
> configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES

Mostlikely you did not build the corresponding libc.

Please check:
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-multi-lib
It will print out the multilib options and corresponding multilib directories.

Please check your libc build whether the libc are installed in the
corresponding directory? i.e. arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc will search
the directory.