eglibc-2.16: old sunrpc vs. libtirpc?

Johannes Stezenbach js@sig21.net
Wed Oct 31 16:32:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

I just noticed that eglibc-2.16 by default does not include
the RPC functions and include files in favor of TI-RPC
(but there is a configure option --enable-obsolete-rpc
according to NEWS).

The postings I found say libtirpc is not ready yet,
but I'm not sure if this is still true today.
But libtirpc-0.2.2 was released 18 months ago...
http://git.infradead.org/users/steved/libtirpc.git

Does someone know?  What are/were the actual issues with TI-RPC?

FWIW, in Debian unstable there are packages for libtirpc1 version 0.2.2
and libtirp-dev.  The latter seems to contain all header
files in /usr/include/tirpc/rpc/ which the Debian eglibc
also has in /usr/include/rpc/.  It seems libtirpc is use
by rpcbind (which replaced portmap), nfs-common
and nfs-kernel-server.  So it seems like libtirpc should work?

Thanks
Johannes