Creating a target initrd

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau@connotech.com
Mon Oct 8 15:05:00 GMT 2012

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> I've successfully built a custom patched version of a Linux v3.4
> kernel, creating a  zimage, using ct-Ng 1.16.0 on an amd64 host for an
> Intel iop32 (armeabi) target. The target has a Redboot bootloader.
>
> I now need to create a corresponding initrd.gz from the built target
> kernel which I can copy across to the target flash. The debian
> installer then is launched by issuing a Redboot 'exec' command at the
> target console.
>
> Is there a facility or option in ct-Ng to have the host build an
> initrd for my custom kernel?
>
> If not, I'd be grateful for any suggestions how else it should be
> done? All of information I've been able to find relates to building
> initrd for the host not the target.

I guess this question is somewaht outside the crossgcc mailing list ...

It would rather belong to "Linux from scratch" or whatever. I am very
novice in this area but I nevertheless install customized Linux kernel
versions using the Crux distribution (http://www.crux.nu). During the
(painful) installation where I had to troubleshoot the boot image
generation process to the greatest extent, I looked at the crux
scripts/makefiles/... that created the required initrd.

Maybe that would be a starting point, in case no more educated response
comes to you.

The official Crux project has host==target but there are a  few more
configurations with some volunteer efforts. Also don't expect much
assistance from the Crux mailing list: this basic distribution is not
meant to be novice friendly.

Hope it helps a bit.

--
- Thierry Moreau