problem with gcc 4.7 on host

Jeremy Rosen jeremy.rosen@openwide.fr
Thu Nov 15 08:53:00 GMT 2012

hello everybody

for some time I was having trouble compiling crosstool-ng using buildroot on my machine,

it typically failed while building ppl with the type of error below

[ERROR]    /home/rosen/projets/mini2440/buildroot/output/build/build-toolchain/.build/src/ppl-0.10.2/src/Interval.defs.hh:432:5: error: 'f_info' was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]

(more at http://pastebin.com/6YsVYPEX)

after some investigation (thx a lot to kos_tom on IRC) this error only happens when compiling with gcc 4.7 on the host machine.

the workaround (described at http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.cross-compiling/14909) is to add the -fpermissive flag to the host compiler via the crosstool-ng compile option

I am sending this email for two reasons

1) so google can index it (thus the high number of keywords in the mail :) )

2) to ask how to write a workaround, or a way for crosstool-ng to detect the problem. I was compiling the default gcc version from my buildroot defconfig (which is 4.4.6)  but trying with gcc 4.6 (latest version available in ctng afaict) did not solve the problem...

if anybody has an idea how to do an upstreamable patch, i would gladly write it...

thx

Jérémy

fight key loggers : write some perl using vim