GCC support libraries and sysroot

Michael Hope michael.hope@linaro.org
Sun May 6 20:24:00 GMT 2012

On 7 May 2012 04:36, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> Le Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:22:55 +1300,
> Michael Hope <michael.hope@linaro.org> a écrit :
>
>> Hi there.  Why does crosstool-NG create a symlink from
>> $tuple/$sysroot/lib to $tuple/lib?  It causes GCC to install support
>> libraries like libgcc_s.so into the sysroot instead of the default
>> location which makes it tricky to replace the sysroot later.
>
> On the other hand, this was making things simple and easy for tools
> like Buildroot to leverage the pre-built Linaro toolchains. The Linaro,
> Sourcery CodeBench, Crosstool-NG and Buildroot toolchains all behaved
> the same by installing all the libraries into the sysroot, so it was
> easy to support all of them: we just copy the complete sysroot into a
> "staging" directory, into which we add more libraries/headers as we
> build stuff for the target.
>
> Since Linaro 2012.03 (and therefore 2012.04), this simple idea doesn't
> work anymore as Linaro toolchains have important stuff installed
> outside of the sysroot, which makes it a lot more complicated for
> Buildroot to handle (and I guess possibly other similar tools).

Hi Thomas.  CodeSourcery and crosstool-NG supply a compiler, runtime,
and sysroot.  We supply a compiler and runtime that work with a few
sysroots, and include a basic sysroot so the compiler works out of the
box.  It's important to me that an end user can easily swap out the
sysroot for a bigger or compatible (Fedora?  Debian?) one

Could you tell me more about your use case?  Perhaps we can tweak the
default sysroot.

-- Michael