Disable gdb Python support?

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@free.fr
Tue Aug 14 21:33:00 GMT 2012

Grant, All,

On Tuesday 14 August 2012 23:17:00 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:59:54PM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 August 2012 22:52:21 Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > > We've been using crosstool-ng for a couple years -- we're currently
> > > using 1.12.  Gdb used to work find for us, but it seems to have broken
> > > when we switched our configuration from 6.8 to 7.2. It appears that
> > > newer versions of gdb are being built with some sort of Python
> > > dependency:
> > [--SNIP--]
> > > Is there any way to disable the Python support when crosstool-ng
> > > builds the host-side gdb?
> >
> > Yes, in the menuconfig:
> >   Debug facilities  --->
> >   [*] gdb  --->
> >       [ ] Enable python scripting
>
> Hmm.  That must be something added since 1.12. It doesn't show up in
> my .config file nor when when I do ./ct-ng menuconfig.

Nope, it probably isn't in ct-ng 1.12; it's been added after that.
In 1.12, the python dependencies was not caught, so there was no
provision against it sneaking in.

Note that 1.12.x is no longer maintained. The current maintained series
is the 1.16.x. Please upgrade.

> I tried a couple more recent versions, but my build scripts failed at
> the "./configure --local" stage, and I haven't had time to figure out
> how I need to change my build scripts and documenation.
>
> It's probably time to figure out the current spelling for "./configure
> --local"...

Since switching to autoconf, the switch was renamed --enable-local. With
autoconf, it;s notpossible (AFAIK) todefine custom switches, besides the
--with-XX or --enable-XXX forms, hence the --enable-local.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.