License text in finished built toolchain?

Michael Eager eager@eagerm.com
Sun Apr 22 00:01:00 GMT 2012

On 04/21/2012 03:26 PM, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Friday, 20 בApril 2012 21:28:26 Michael Eager wrote:
>> You do *not* need to include licenses in the tool chain installation
>> tree.  Most distributions do not include licenses with the binaries.
>
> The last statement is wrong. Someone else on this thread already
> mentioned the /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright files on Debian
> (and Debian derived distros like Ubuntu). May I add my Fedora:
> $ find /usr/share/doc -name 'COPYING' | wc -l
> 1107
> (which obviously applies to derived distributions like RHEL/Centos).

Yes, you are correct.  Perhaps I should have said that most embedded
distributions do not include the licenses with the binaries.

> The responsibility for complying with a copyright license (including
> providing a copy of it where needed) is on the one who distributes
> the copyrighted work. However, it would be a nice service if crosstool-ng
> could copy all the license files into the x-toolchain tree under
> a well defined common directory (e.g:<datadir>/doc/crosstool-ng/licenses.d)
> This would help prospective toolchain packagers.

Not a good idea in an embedded environment where space is limited.
This is the target for crosstool-ng, not building Fedora or Debian.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077