-fpic, -fpic -mpcrel, -fPIC, ... what to use for m68000?

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote@dulcineatech.com
Fri Sep 30 10:16:00 GMT 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM, Simon Ferber
<simon.ferber@tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> I am trying to build a cross toolchain for a plain Motorola m68000.
> I have tried to build everything with "-fPIC" as well as with "-fpic" and
> "-fpic -mpcrel". I never seem to get a toolchain, which is able to produce
> pic code above 64k of size.
> Shouldn't be the -fPIC the right option? As I understand, -fpic produces
> code for 16-bit wide entries in the _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_, which is not
> enough for bigger programs. That's why one should use -fPIC. What why does
> this option fail as well?

Do large Position Independent Code modules require trampolines to call
far-away addresses?  That's the case with Thumb.  I don't know either
way; it's been so many years since I've worked with 68k.
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

   Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
   http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/