Final toolchain dir

Javier Viguera javier.viguera@digi.com
Thu Mar 31 09:11:00 GMT 2011

On 03/28/2011 04:58 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Well, your use case is one that requires writing into the sysroot, I
> suppose. I have no other suggestion, but yet I wonder: once the Qt apps
> are built, how do you manage to make them run? Do you use populate (or
> any similar tool) to get needed Qt libs into the staginf area?

Not populate, but a different script that provides similar
functionality. This script goes through a basic rootfs and for every
binary it checks for the required libraries using "objdump". Then it
copies those libraries from the sysroot to the final rootfs. That way a
minimal set of libraries are in the rootfs at runtime (we have embedded
modules as tiny as 4MB flash for u-boot, kernel and rootfs)

> Also, even if you put your additional libs in the sysroot, do you ship
> the toolchain RO or RW? I mean: when your customers build the Qt apps,
> the libs will be found (as they are in the sysroot); but where do they
> install the generated apps? What if they build their ownadditional libs?
> Do they put them in the sysroot? Or do they use a kind of staging area
> like I suggest?
>
> Your use-case is more akin to providing an SDK than providing a toolchain.
> So I would do it that way if I had to ( but if I had my say, everything
> would be compiled from source everytime ;-) ).

Exactly, we (the company) provide not only a toolchain but a whole build
environment/SDK to use with our embedded modules.

Thanks for your explanation Yann.

Javier Viguera