"building binutils for target" question

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Fri Mar 25 15:05:00 GMT 2011

Michael, All,

On Friday 25 March 2011 16:00:00 Michael Zintakis wrote:
> I have done "cross" build successfully (build=host=x86_64, target=powerpc).
>
> At the end of the process binutils for the target architecture
> (build=x86_64, host=target=powerpc) were also successfully "installed",
> though I cannot find any of them, apart from the shared objects which
> are all in sysroot! Executables like "ar", "ld" etc which should have
> been compiled and installed to run on the target system (powerpc) cannot
> be found anywhere (only those for the host arch are present). Am I
> missing a trick here or do I have to compile and install another set of
> binutils from source for my target image?

The binutils for target will only build some of the binutils libraries.
They are needed to build stuff like oprofile, and have to match the
version of binutils used for in the toolchain. That's why there is the
option.

To build the complete binutils to run on the target (eg. ar, ld...)
means to build a cross-native toolchain, which is not currently
supported by crostool-NG ( although I'm working on it, but there's
only 24h in a day! ).

> As part of building the final image I also need to install GCC (which
> would only be run on the target arch, i.e. build=x86_64,
> host=target=powerpc) hence why I need all binutils executables (like ar,
> ld etc) also installed in that target.

As said above, not currently supported. Sorry... :-/

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.