"building binutils for target" question

Michael Zintakis michael.zintakis@googlemail.com
Fri Mar 25 15:00:00 GMT 2011

I have done "cross" build successfully (build=host=x86_64, target=powerpc).

At the end of the process binutils for the target architecture
(build=x86_64, host=target=powerpc) were also successfully "installed",
though I cannot find any of them, apart from the shared objects which
are all in sysroot! Executables like "ar", "ld" etc which should have
been compiled and installed to run on the target system (powerpc) cannot
be found anywhere (only those for the host arch are present). Am I
missing a trick here or do I have to compile and install another set of
binutils from source for my target image?

As part of building the final image I also need to install GCC (which
would only be run on the target arch, i.e. build=x86_64,
host=target=powerpc) hence why I need all binutils executables (like ar,
ld etc) also installed in that target.

Any help in resolving this issue would be gratefully received, thanks!