verify NEON support in cross toolchain

Javier Viguera javier.viguera@digi.com
Mon Mar 21 10:48:00 GMT 2011

Hi all,

Just for if it help attached a patch i have locally that applies to
crosstool-ng-1.8.2 which adds support for "softfp" optimized toolchains.

Some background: I needed a cortex_a8 optimized toolchain for some of
our embedded products. Crosstool-NG allows to optimize somewhat the
toolchain through:

"Architecture level"
"Emit assembly for CPU"
"Tune for CPU" options

but on the Floating point option it only allows to *soft* and *hard*.

According to GCC man page:

> Use -mfloat-abi=softfp with the appropriate -mfpu option to allow the compiler
> to generate code that makes use of the hardware floating-point capabilities
> for these CPUs

To have a toolchain which defaults to "-mfloat-abi=softfp" you need to
pass "--with-float=softfp" instead of "--with-float=soft|hard" which is
what crosstool-ng is doing when building GCC.

With my basic knowledge on how crosstool-ng works i created a patch to
solve this problem for us. The patch is posted here for if it helps
someone or with some rework may be included in future releases of
crosstool-ng.

The patch is based on version 1.8.2.

Javier Viguera