GDB Python support

Bryce Schober bryce.schober@gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 01:11:00 GMT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:

> On Monday 14 March 2011 17:30:54 Bryce Schober wrote:
> > Has anyone tinkered around with getting GDB's python support built
> > using crosstool-ng? As more IDEs use/require the python support (Qt
> > Creator), it would be great to make it easier to build toolchains with
> > it included. Of course, the panacea would be the ability to
> > canadian-cross-compile a minimal python to include for a different
> > host, but any python build support would be great.
>
> I am not sure I undrestand...
>
> Do you want to debug your Python programs using gdb?
> Or do you want to use to drive gdb with Python scripts?
>
> For the later, see:
>  http://sourceware.org/gdb/download/onlinedocs/gdb/Python.html#Python

This is what I mean. It requires specifying gdb's configure option
"—with-python" (my cursory glance at crosstool's configs left me with
the impression that there was no place to plug in that option), and
implies dependencies. I assume that in the context of crosstool, one
would prefer it to compile its own minimal version of python for that
purpose. I haven't gone very far down the chain of implications
myself, but I've scanned through the Qt Creator process for the
python-enabled gdb that they ship
(http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/QtCreatorBuildGdb), and at least
their Linux build process doesn't look too obtuse.

And these are fishes :)
Bryce Schober