[CT-NG] Status : canadian rework

Trevor Woerner twoerner@gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:56:00 GMT 2011

Hi Yann,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> But above all, it needs testing! :-] If you have a bit of spare time, and a
> lot of free CPU ticks, please look at that series and give it a whirl.

For the last day or so I've been testing this new branch.

Using an x86_64 machine, my first thought was to create a set of
PowerPC build tools (a regular "cross" toolchain), then use this
PowerPC toolchain to generate a Canadian Cross targetting a MIPS
device:

build: x86_64
host: PowerPC
target: MIPS

I was simply unable to get a regular cross toolchain to build
successfully. Later on it dawned on me I probably don't need to
perform the steps separately, I probably could have just tried to
build the Canadian Cross in one go (which I have not yet tried) but my
point being I don't seem to be able to create a regular cross
toolchain from this branch.

I don't have a log file handy to send you right now. My work
environment is simply too slow to attempt a build at this time (VM),
but if you would like I could send you one later. It shouldn't be too
hard to reproduce; I tried building two separate cross configurations
(powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu and mips-unknown-elf) and neither of them
succeeded. I then verified these two configurations worked on 1.10.0.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but these were my steps:
<follow hg steps from your email>
$ ct-ng list-samples
$ ct-ng powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
$ ct-ng menuconfig
  - don't compress log
  - change install location from default
  - change tarball location from default
  - don't build anything other than C compiler (no C++, Java, etc)
  - don't build debugging tools (gdb, etc)
$ ct-ng build

The error was that one of the ./configure scripts (binutils, I think)
was complaining about the versions of MPFR and GMP it was finding. In
essence, the "--with-gmp=" and "--with-mpfr=" options were pointing to
locations which weren't the locations to which those companion
libraries had been installed.

I'll try performing a Canadian Cross later and let you know how that goes.