final build log location

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Wed Mar 2 20:35:00 GMT 2011

Trevor, All,

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 21:20:50 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> I was a bit surprised to find that at the end of the build the build
> log file (which records the building of the toolchain) is stored in
> the install directory: $CT_PREFIX_DIR. Wouldn't it make more sense if
> it were stored in the work-area location, $CT_TOP_DIR, along with the
> unpacked sources and build directories?

There are a few reasons why this is the case:
- the build.log also contains the .config, and ct-ng can extract a .config
  from a build.log
- you can build more than one toolchain from the same directory, so you
  would loose any previous build.log
- if you pass an archive of the toolchain to someone else, (s)he can
  also review the log if (s)he wants to

It makes more sense in my opinion that the complete installed toolchain is
installed in the same place. The build.log is not really big (~412KiB
compressed here), and you can always remove it if you do not care.

> I guess when it comes to these "opinion-type" issues there will always
> be someone who disagrees :-)

And I do disagree. Hehe! ;-)

Unless you can come with strong arguments against including it in the
toolchain, in which case I will review my position, of course! Although
there is no guarantee I would change my mind! :-]

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.