i686-apple-darwin10 to i386-pc-linux-gnu, ld invoked with gnu options

Titus von Boxberg titus@v9g.de
Fri Jun 24 19:19:00 GMT 2011

Am 24.06.2011 um 01:45 schrieb Yann E. MORIN:

> Andrea, Bryan, All,
>
> On Thursday 23 June 2011 13:36:16 Bryan Hundven wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Andrea Franceschini
>> <therealmorpheu5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi there.
>>> I'm building a cross toolchain for i386-pc-linux-gnu on Mac OS X (it
>>> says x86_64-apple-darwin10) and I'm facing a strange bug. According to
>>> http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2010-10/msg00187.html should already
>>> be good. Nonetheless this is what build.log has to say
>>
>> Hah, looking at that email what I see is someone sending the list some
>> patches, and Yann saying "no".
>
> I did not say 'no'. I expressed my opinion that:
> - the kernel-related patch seemed as a symptom of a more obscur issue.
>   FTR, it was about O= breaking, which it should not.
> - I asked for clarifications about the glibc patch
> - the sed patch I refused because there is already provision for specifying
>   an alternate sed if needed
> - for the gcc-build script, I asked for more info.
>
> There was no answer, so I dropped all 4... :-(
>
> But now the issue pops up again, maybe we can at last kill it! ;-)
> You are the guys that can test on MacOS, so I'll listen to your suggestions.
> Maybe an answer to tmy questions about the gcc static libstdc++ issue would
> be a start:
>
> ---8<---
> What does the MacOS-X' ld says to used static/shared libraries? GNU ld
> at least supports the equivalents:
> - for static: -Bstatic   -dn  -non_shared   -static
> - for shared: -Bdynamic  -dy  -call_shared
> If you can find a common option for both, then the better.
> ---8<---
Yann, all,

to my knowledge there's no such option in MacOS's ld.
There is - however - a libstdc++_static.a present on MacOS.
Only reading the caveats in Apple's documentation gives me headaches and
I'd refrain from trying anything of this stuff unless there's a
very good reason to do so.

It escapes me now why you would want to link statically (to libstdc++)?
What was the reason?

Regards
Titus