[CT-NG] WIP - status

Bryan Hundven bryanhundven@gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 00:30:00 GMT 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> On Sunday 02 January 2011 00:26:45 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>> On Wednesday 22 December 2010 23:59:49 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>> [--SNIP--]
>> > - C library:
>> >   - simpler process, less steps
>> >   - reunite glibc and eglibc
>>     hg qclone http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/hg/crosstool-ng/ct-ng.libc-unite/
>
> This tree has matured quite a bit in the past few days, although I still
> have to do some regtests.
>
> How hard I tried, I was not able to update the current IA-64 sample to use
> newer versions (especially of glibc, currently using 2.3.6). glibc-2.3.6
> needed special hacks and kludges in the code, and was really preventing
> the merge with the eglibc code path.

Maybe try glibc 2.13, wrt IA-64?

Would it also be useful to be able to get glibc (and glibc-ports) from
git as well as from tarballs? I noticed that some versions of glibc
did not release tarballs for libc, and ports.

It's also easy to export git to a tarball:

git archive --format=tar --prefix=glibc-<version>/
{revision|branch+revision|HEAD} | bzip2 > glibc-<version>.tar.bz2

> So:
>  - IA-64 removed
>  - glibc-2.3.6 removed, hacks removed
>  - headers and start files are now installed in the same step
>  - glibc and eglibc share the same build procedure
>  - the now empty headers step has been yanked
>  - libc_finish is now empty, except for mingw32
>
> Basically, glibc and eglibc now share the same build procedure, with a few
> exceptions (some may be lifted later). Only the retrieval and extract steps
> are different now (expected, one we get from tarballs, the other from SVN).
>
> I would like people using glibc and/or eglibc on their targets to test their
> current .config against this new tree and see what breaks before the release
> (due for FOSDEM). Thank you!

I'll give both glibc and eglibc a shot tonight on
armeb-xscale-linux-gnueabi, powerpc-e500v2-linux-gnuspe, and
x86-nptl-linux-gnu tonight.

I noticed that with x86_64-nptl-linux-gnu, gdb-7.2 is not building...
I'll send an email about this later, when I test the above stuff.

> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.
>
> --
> |  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
> | +33 662 376 056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
> | +33 223 225 172 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |
> | http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
>
> --

Thanks for the update,