restart after manual intervention

ng@piments.com ng@piments.com
Sun Feb 27 14:50:00 GMT 2011

On 02/26/11 19:41, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Peter, All,
>
> On Saturday 26 February 2011 01:58:17 ng@piments.com wrote:
>> I am having to do some manual intervention to get binutils to build on
>> avr32.
>
> Good! :-)
> I saw that you sent some updates to the original thread. When you have
> finished, could you summarise it, so we can see if it is appropriate to
> include in crosstool-NG? TIA.
>
>> Is there a way to force ct-ng to continue with " ct-ng build
>> RESTART=elf2flt " as if it had completed the binutils step?
>
> It is not currently possible "out-of-the-box". Restarting means restoring
> a previously saved internal state, and continue as if there had been no
> interruption.
>
> Obviously, you can't restore a state that was not previously saved! :-)
>
> Of course, you could fake it. That's not easy, but you should look at
>    scripts/functions
>
> and see what CT_DoLoadState() expects to restore, and what CT_DoSaveState()
> does backup. Then, you could prepare such an backed up state manually.
>
> Or better yet, change the binutils build procedure so you do not have to
> stop/restart the build ! :-)

Yes , clearly that would be the ideal but I don't have the time to get
in that deep and I would not want to deprive anyone getting paid by
atmel of their livelihood ;)

> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.

Thanks for the pointers, Yann.

There's quite a bit going on but it does not look that complicated on
the bottom line (if I short circuit some of the ct-ng options and ignore
additions to err_log).

 From those functions you note and looking at the dir structures , it
seems like this should be enough.

==================================
attempt fake state-save for manual binutils
==================================

cd targets/avr32-unknown-none/state
mkdir binutils
cp gmp/* binutils
# ignore adding to log file
ct-ng build RESTART=binutils+

I have not bitten the bullet on that yet since I don't want to blast
what I've achieved so far. Would that be enough as a quick hack or am I
missing something significant?

Thanks again, Peter.