Tutorial

Trevor Woerner twoerner@gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 06:54:00 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> I'm not doing a tutorial, but an explanation of the overall process, and how
> every bit fit together. That document ought to be as complete as possible,
> yet easy to read; this is a tedious work, but I've made some progress...

Excellent! I'm glad to hear it.

> Basically, this means that if you configure glibc with anything else than
> --prefix=/usr then you are shooting yourself in the foot. :-]

Ah yes, that's how it was solved: configure with "--prefix=/usr" but
then install with DESTDIR. Thanks!

>> 2) I also know that there were times when I was cross compiling
>> applications for the target on my build machine that header files from
>> the build machine would interfere with my compile. So my compile would
>> end up erroneously using files from, say, my host's /usr/include
>> instead of the corresponding files from where my cross tools had been
>> installed. I don't think I ever got that one solved with 100%
>> confidence.
>
> Yes, I understand. Basically, the sysroot mechanism is there to solve this
> issue (as well as others, such as finding the libs).
>
> But this only means where _gcc_ and _ld_ (and other tools in the toolchain
> itself) will look for to find the required files.

Great, that's all I need. I can control the various Makefile's and it
saves me from having to always specify --nostdinc (and friends).

Thanks