Call For Participation: buildroot + crosstool-NG Developpers' Day

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Tue Aug 16 20:51:00 GMT 2011

All,

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 19:14:26 Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Guylhem Aznar <crossgcc@guylhem.net> wrote:
> >> Hello

> >> For those of use who don't live in Europe, some kind of "on line
> >> event" would be interesting :-)
> >
> > Guylhem, All,
> >
> > I would be in for that as well.

Preparing an on-line, interactive session would be quite a challenge. We
usually crash to some random place for the session (last year in Cambridge,
we ended up in a café), and the internet connection is not guaranteed. This
also means there could be ambiant /noise/ from other people present at that
place.

Also, the developpers' day are usually ultra-interactive, which would be
rather dificult to handle as an on-line event. It usually involves peeking
at each other's screen, doing some code, possibly napkin-drafting stuff,
cigarette-and-coffee breaks...

And we have a limited, if even existant at all, budget, where we all pay
on our own money all the stuff we need during the day: probably no beamer,
and most probably no camera, which makes it hard to record and stream any
media stream.

So I'm afraid this will be a must-be-physically-present kind of event. Of
course, I'm still open to any proposal to prepare for a really trivial
setup that will make this possible. (Speaking for the crosstool-NG side,
here, the buildroot guys may have another position.)

If you wish that some points be discussed, please post your suggestions to
the related mailing list (or both if it applies to both projects), and it's
gonna be added to the schedule.

In any case, there will be a transcript of the day posted back to the lists
afterward. For example, see the summary for the dev-day at the last ELC-E (I
will be doing the same for crosstool-NG, of course):
    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2010-November/038913.html

> we just need to find a way to manage the time-shift. Not that waking
> up in the middle of the night worries me, but still :-)

Unfortunately, we'll have to stick to a local (UTC+2) day-time event,
starting around 09:00, and ending around 19:00, to cope with participants
constraints (traveling back home, and such other contingencies).

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.