CT_PREFER_MIRROR working?

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr
Tue Aug 2 20:39:00 GMT 2011

Andy, All,

On Tuesday 02 August 2011 20:51:02 ANDY KENNEDY wrote:
> > We already have FORBID_DOWNLOAD, which CT_GetSVN et al. should
> > follow.
>
> But, I don't want to FORBID_DOWNLOAD, I want to _CONTROL_ where I
> download from -- in this case, I want to ONLY go to the mirror, which
> is a wget for the file, but not out to the web for it.  So, will that
> still allow me to "download" from my internal repo?

Currently, either downloads are allowed, in which case CT_Get* behave so:
 - first, try from local tqarballs dir
 - then try from the mirror (which svn, cvs and git do not honor so far)
 - then try from upstream locations
 - finally fail if not found

The mirror option is labelled the "LAN mirror", but really nothing prevents
it from being any where on the network, local or not. I already provide a
mirror for a few tarballs (eg. uClibc snapshots, or a few mpfr versions as
upstream is sometime unreachable). It is even suggested to use that mirror
in the CT_USE_MIRROR option.

So how would one differentiate between:
 - I don't want to call to the internet, but still use the mirror
and:
 - I don't want to call to the internet at all
when there is no way to know whether the mirror is on the LAN or not?

But anyway, here's what I was planning:
 - if downloads are forbidden, and no mirror is set
   - just look in local tarballs dir (if set)
 - if downloads are forbidden, and a mirror has been set
   - look in local tarballs dir (if set)
   - then try the mirror
 - if downloads are allowed
   - look in local tarballs dir (if set)
   - then try the mirror (if set)
   - then try provided URLs

Selecting the mirror would be de-correlated from the FORBID_DOWNLOAD option,
so it is always available.

Would that match your use-case? That's what I was intending to do. ;-)

I believe that's about all we should support. FORBID_DOWNLOAD is just here
as a fast-path when roaming, and network is not available. But nothing
prevents you to be connection-less and still attempt downloads; it's just
that it will take some time before the failure occurs. FORBID_DOWNLOAD
merely makes it happen sooner.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.