Paper: OSS-QM - Normalized sourcecode repositories

Esben Haabendal eha@dev.doredevelopment.dk
Tue Sep 14 09:22:00 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 20:56 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  JFYI: yet another paper: Normalized sourcecode repositories.
> > >
> > >  http://www.metux.de/download/oss-qm/normalized_repository.pdf
> >
> > Hi
> >   When you post a link to a paper, it would be helpful to put a short
> > summary in the email message. Otherwise people have to download and
> > read the paper to discover if they want to download and read the
> > paper.
>
> Okay, here it is:
>
> The paper describes a concept of normalized layouts for source
> code repositories. In short points:
>
> * repository locations and version numbers (so also tag names, etc)
>   are normalized, so clients (eg. automatic build systems, monitors/
>   notififactions, etc) do not need to know anything about individual
>   upstream's naming schemes
>
> * upstreams and distro-specific changes are collected in one place,
>   so anyone can access them easily (even automatic systems, which
>   want to notify on new 3rd-party changes or even run automatic
>   tests on them)
>
> * from certain distros (eg. Debian partially done), their changes
>   can be directly imported
>
> * distro buildsystems can directly fetch their package sources from
>   there, w/o the need for applying additional patches (distro-
>   specific changes are made directly in the vcs, published in the
>   distro's namespace).
>
> * distro source packages can be directly created from there.

And as such, I feel that you have entered the off-topic space for this
list.  The list description is "It is a list for discussing embedded
('cross') programming using the GNU tools."

Your papers does not really have much more to do with embedded cross
programming than any of the Linux distribution that you should be
talking with instead of this list.

/Esben