"Disabling thread support in gdbserver" problem

Daniele Palmas Daniele.Palmas@telit.com
Wed Mar 17 14:00:00 GMT 2010

Yann,

-----Original Message-----
From: Yann E. MORIN [mailto:yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr]
Sent: giovedì 25 febbraio 2010 19.50
To: crossgcc@sourceware.org
Cc: Daniele Palmas
Subject: Re: "Disabling thread support in gdbserver" problem

> Daniele, All,

> On Monday 08 February 2010 15:38:55 Daniele Palmas wrote:
>> I'm using crosstool-NG 1.6.0 for building a glibc toolchain for my AT91SAM9260
>> target (binutils 2.19.1, gcc 4.3.2, glibc 2.9).
>> Building the toolchain succeeded correctly, but analyzing the log I've found
>> the following lines:
[--SNIP--]
>> [INFO ]  Installing gdbserver
>> [EXTRA]    Configuring gdbserver
>> [WARN ]    configure: WARNING: Could not find libthread_db.
>> [WARN ]    configure: WARNING: Disabling thread support in gdbserver.
[--SNIP--]
>> Any hint?

> Well, I was really sckeptical about this issue, and while I was trying
> to solve it, I noticed that I do not have the issue! My gdbserver is
> statically built, and properly finds the static version of libthread_db.
>
> If you manage to somehow understand why it fails on your side, I would be
> glad to hear about it, so we can try and fix it.

I've finally found some time for investigating the issue. The problem was that the libthread_db.a library was not generated during glibc compiling.

I've found this solution:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2003-04/msg00230.html

This is quite old, but it still works well.

Now the scripts find the static version of the library and gdb correctly builds.

Regards,
Daniele