feature request: Include ncurses, openssl

David Wuertele dave@crossplex.org
Wed Jun 30 23:00:00 GMT 2010

Ben Greear <greearb <at> candelatech.com> writes:

> >> I found cross-compiilng ncurses and openssl to be fairly painful,
> >> but I now have some notes that work (for ARM cross compiles, at least).
> >>
> >> I think it would be nice if crosstools could automatically build
> >> those (and perhaps other common libraries).
>
> > couldn't `buildroot' or other project alike already handle those ?
>
> Probably...I was just looking for something to cross-compile my
> project.  crosstools-ng is so sweet about building the compilers,
> but it was a pain in the arse to get the supporting libraries
> cross-compiled so I could actually make progress.

Can I recommend crossplex (see crossplex.org)?

Crossplex can build glibc and uclibc cross-compiling toolchains, and it can build
ncurses and openssl (and of course much much more).  To use Crossplex, you create
a simple makefile that includes the main Crossplex makefile, then you call make
macros defined in the Crossplex library.

Crossplex was inspired by crosstool (Dan Kegel's cross compiler shell script) and
Buildroot (uclibc's build system).  The Crossplex macros are designed to be
called from a developer's existing makefile.  The library was designed to support
large engineering teams developing multiple embedded system product lines.  It is
designed from the ground up to make simple systems simple, and complex systems
possible.

Dave