Error building ncurses.

Joachim Nilsson joachim@vmlinux.org
Mon Jul 5 20:06:00 GMT 2010

On 07/01/2010 01:21 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 06/30/2010 03:39 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
>> I'm still trying to figure out why, but it looks a bit like ncurses
>> is a steaming pile :P
>
> Seems ncurses has issues.  To get it to cross-compile I first had to
> compile it with CC=...arm-gcc, though this fails in a linking phase
> because it tries to link c++ code using arm-gcc.

Interesting discussions on ncurses (and openssl) going on here.

The last time I went into the maze I realized I should try to port gdb
to another line editing library.  A while ago I ported Minix editline[1]
so I could use it in a CLI implementation at work. It is capable, but
needs a little bit more work to get it more API compatible with GNU
readline to be able to replace the ncurses dependency.

    http://bzr.vmlinux.org

[1] - There is an earlier port in Debian available as well, mine
contains all its fixes and more. If time permits I'll attempt to merge them.

Regards
 /Joachim

P.S. I intend to migrate that Bzr repository to Git during the summer.